Jan 20, 2011

What is it About a Cameo?

What is it about a cameo that is so elegant and charming? I have always been drawn to cameos because of their vintage chic appeal. And I am not the only one that likes cameos... it seems they are appearing more and more in all kinds of unique forms. Of course the cameo ring has always been around. However, now you can find newer versions of  cameo pieces that jewelry makers are showing. The different styles are amazing and so creative and fun! Here are a few of my favorites from different shops on Etsy. I love these newer updated styles - so fun to wear!
"Lady in Black Cameo Ring" by Glazed Black Cherry 
"Vintage Style Mother and Child Necklace by Luna Shine Shine
"Skull Cameo Ring" bGrigio Design
Victorian Style Lady Cameo Necklace by Luna Shine Shine
"Rhinestone Cameo Belt Buckle" by Angel Grace
"Butterfly Kisses Cameo Garter" by Peterene Design
My most recent project was repainting a pair of framed cameos that I found at an antique shop in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Originally these cameos were painted with copper accents and placed on a peach colored background. I bought them knowing that I could do something with them to make them elegant and charming. And so I repainted them using more neutral colors. I also painted the frames and put a small amount of antique glaze on them. I love how they turned out!
This pair can be found in my shop, Lula Belle, on Etsy
I am going to make some cameos from molds using resin so I can use them for my projects.I am still working on making molds to make resin appliqués. I knew when I started this that this would have somewhat of a learning curve to it and I was right. I am determined to find the best way to make these molds so I can make my own resin pieces.

Originally I made the molds out of Sculpey clay, but working with the clay was very difficult, and the resin stuck to the clay even after I sprayed them with Mold Release. After doing research and talking to my sister (who is the true artist in our family!), I switched from clay to rubber. I bought some Mold Builder at Michael's and I am in the process of making the molds right now. This process takes more time, but I am sure the results will be much better. The rubber is much easier to work with once you get the molds made.

Here are some the molds I am currently working on. These pieces have around 6 layers of Mold Builder on them. Each piece takes anywhere from 10 to 25 layers of the rubber which is brushed on. Each layer has to dry completely so it takes a while to complete. Though the process takes a while, brushing the layers on is quite simple.



I will post the molds when they are done so you can see how they turn out.

Thanks so much for visiting and I'll be back with more fun projects!

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, comments, suggestions here!
Thank you,
Kate

There was an error in this gadget